It’s that time of the year again, the moment we all find out how popular our breed of dog really is. Every year the American Kennel Club issues the report of all doggy reports, the most popular breeds in the country. If you’re like me, you await this moment like it’s the Oscars, will the teacup chihuahua finally break into the top ten? Ok, so maybe you’re not like me and have much better things to do with your day. But nonetheless, it’s always fun to find out where on the list your dog falls. So, let’s take a look at who won top honors in 2017.
The top spot turned out to be no surprise at all, it’s been the same breed for the last 27 years, the uber-popular Labrador Retriever. Let’s put that in perspective, 27 years ago Facebook didn’t exist and the song of the year was Bryan Adams’ (Everything I Do) I Do It For You! As you can see much has changed in America over the last 27 years, but not the most popular dog, the lovable Lab still is number one in dog lovers hearts.
The top three spots on the list stayed the same as the 2016 list, with the Labrador Retriever, German Shepherd, and Golden Retriever filling out the top three spots. But it was the number four spot the made the most noise this year. Coming in at number four for the first time ever was the uber-popular, dog of the moment, the adorable French Bulldog. The Frenchie overtook the English Bulldog for the first time. The Frenchie also became the most popular dog in a few major US cities including, New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and West Palm Beach.
Let’s take a quick look at what makes the French Bulldog so popular:
Breed Overview: The French Bulldog:
They have the face of a bulldog but the body of a chubby little Pug. They’re the cutest breed in the bunch: French Bulldogs! Bonjour Frenchie! Would you like a croissant? A baguette? No? You’d rather have a dog bone? Okay, fine.
The French Bulldog is most likely the dog you see in every trendy neighborhood in America, but we’re fine with that. Have you ever seen a French Bulldog up close? If you haven’t, do yourself a favor and find one or Google it…do something! It’s adorable. Here are 9 fun facts about the French Bulldog.
- They’re the 4th most popular breed in the world
- The main purpose of their breed is to warm laps (I’m fine with that!)
- These dogs love crates and crate training
- They are easily trainable (whoo whoo!)
- They like kids a lot (most of them…depending on the kid)
- They don’t like water (so don’t throw them in—even though it’s fun)
- Frenchies are very sensitive! So no need to scold them. They already feel bad.
- Most French Bulldogs aren’t born the natural way AKA artificial insemination. They’re not good with baby making or baby delivering. Poor things.
- They’re the hippest dog of 2017! I mean Lady Gaga has not one but TWO of them. Can this breed be any cooler?
The rest of the list, 5 through 10, was made up of the following dogs.
5. The Bulldog, 6. The Beagle, 7. The Poodle, 8. The Rottweiler, 9. The Yorkshire Terrier, and breaking into the top ten for the first time was the German Shorthaired Pointer.