The relationship a dog owner has with his or her dog is a unique one. Individuals who don’t have dogs at home can’t completely understand the kind of love that can exist between the dog and their owner. Dogs love us despite all of our flaws and mistakes. Having a strong bond with your pup isn’t that hard to achieve, as doggos love unconditionally and with their whole heart. We found a few tips to increase the bond that you can have with your dog to make sure that yours is lasting and fulfilling.
Read also: “Does Your Dog Eat Better Than You?“
- Make sure to spend quality time with Fido. It’s true that spending time together with your pet is very important in order to build a strong bond, but it’s not just the length of time that matters. It’s also what you do with the time you have. Dogs crave time with their humans. They can go days without seeing you, but when they are reunited with their humans, their eyes light up. Dogs immediately forget about the time they were apart. (Have you seen those videos of pups welcoming their owners home after being deployed? We cry every time.) Try snuggling with your pet when you’re laying in bed or binge watching the latest series on Netflix.
- Training your dog is an excellent way to increase your bond with your beloved pet. If your dog is well-trained, you’ll feel more comfortable of giving your pup the freedom to roam around and play. In this way, you and your dog will enjoy spending quality time with each other.
- Playing with your dog is also a good way to increase your bond with them. Wrestling, running in the backyard and playing fetch are great examples of good activities to do together with your dog. They love interacting with their owners and it will burn extra energy.
- Once your dog does misbehave, it is highly recommended to keep your temper in check. They deserve to be disciplined, but it is not a good idea to be violent towards your pet. Becoming violent and losing your cool can cause harm in the relationship with your dog.
- Communicating clearly with your dog is another excellent way to increase your bond even in a long distance relationship. Dog owners want to be persistent in using signals and commands with their dogs. With proper training of commands and signals, you can be sure that your dog will obey you. If you’re mainly vocal with your dog, stick to vocal commands. If you use gestures, stick to those. Consistency is key here.
- When it comes to creating a lasting relationship with your dog, make sure that you provide your pup with a peaceful living environment. Dogs want to have a home that makes them feel comfortable. They enjoy quiet time to rest. Dog owners should always remember that your dog needs a comfortable and quiet place to rest and recharge while they’re missing you.
Having a strong bond with your dog is not a difficult task. As a matter of fact, dogs will love you no matter what happens (that’s part of why we love them so much!).