Easter is a wonderfully, joyous time for children and families all over the United States. This is a time for prayer for some, play for many and candy for practically everyone. Although this holiday is all about family, sweets and drinking large quantities of alcohol (because hey, no work!) it should also be regarded as a day of watching out for our special doggy friends. Dogs are highly sensitive to sweets, springtime plants and plastic products found in practically all Easter merchandise. Here are some tips and tricks to avoid the Doggy ER this Easter Holiday.
Read also: “When Dressing Your Dog Goes Too Far“
- Avoid plastic Easter Grass
Easter grass is that weird, bright green, fake grass that belongs inside our brightly colored Easter baskets. This is extremely toxic to our pets because it’s easy to choke on. Also, when consumed the grass can cause muscle pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Call your veterinarian is you suspect your dog has ingested this toxic substance.
By now you all should know chocolate is not good for our four-legged friends! For the sneaky dogs that manage to get into almost everything, make sure you are hiding your chocolate properly. Chocolate is not usually a doggy killer but it can cause a lot of discomfort and anxiety for them. Who would want to witness something so tragic on Easter? Not me! So lock it up, or eat it fast! Side note, dark chocolate is the worst for our dogs!
This is an artificial sweetener used in most candy, especially the weird colorful Easter candy and it’s definitely all up in Peeps. This is toxic to dogs and fun facts ferrets! Keep away!
- Easter Eggs
Easter eggs can be fun to color and exciting to hide for epic hunts but if your dog consumes a 3-day-old egg, it won’t be pretty. Make sure to pick up all the remaining unsuccessfully found eggs and toss them. Also, it’s totally fine for your dog to eat a fresh hard-boiled egg that’s been de-shelled.
If you are worried about your dog this Easter holiday, please review the information below from the pet poison helpline.
Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service available throughout the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet. We have the ability to help every poisoned pet, with all types of poisonings, 24 hours a day. Our knowledge and expertise of pet poisons will put your mind at ease when dealing with a potential emergency.
In order to provide this critical service, please be advised that there is a $59 per incident fee, payable by credit card. This fee covers the initial consultation as well as all follow-up calls associated with the management of the case.
The number for the pet poison hotline is 855. 764. 7661
So now that you know all the tips and tricks for avoiding a dog disaster this Easter, have some fun! Put your dog in bunny ears, participate in a dog treat Easter hunt, buy an Easter themed dog treat and enjoy! This only happens once a year!