Cuddy is just like any other dog who loves to find a good stick to play with! But it took vets some six months to figure out that it was a stick that was causing the poor pup’s mysterious pain.
Back in early July, Cuddy, the 1-year-old Irish Setter, was rushed to the vet following what her owner, Myrtle Crossdale, determined was a serious injury. Unfortunately, no medical professional could figure out what exactly was wrong with poor Cuddy.
“She likes to hunt and chase things and track and she knows where all the squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks are in the yard,” Cuddy’s owner, Crossdale relayed.
Back in the summer of 2016 while running through her yard in Rockford, MN, Cuddy came out from the woods and was clearly in excruciating pain.
“It’s hard to describe. Choking and baying, really in a panic. She was just hysterical,” Crossdale recalled. “There wasn’t a mark on her. I couldn’t figure it out. Then she went into shock and we thought we would lose her on the way to the emergency animal hospital.”
X-rays revealed nothing, but as time continued to pass poor Cuddy experienced awful symptoms – from fevers to abscesses to infections. Crossdale says the vet found what looked like a small puncture wound or insect sting, which might be Cuddy’s problem.
Just as December had come to a close, Crossdale decided to take Cuddy to a specialist at Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners in Eden Prairie, where Dr. Andrew Jackson found a two-and-a-half inch wooden stick embedded deep in the dog’s throat.
“Wood doesn’t show up on X-rays, so you could take X-rays of her neck and you wouldn’t see anything. So we did a special X-ray where we injected dye into her neck, through the holes of the draining track and that highlighted the stick pretty well,” Dr. Jackson explained.
Days later, after Dr. Jackson removed the stick from Cuddy’s throat, she had started feeling much better and is expected to make a full recovery! Cuddy will be on antibiotics for the next few months. Crossdale was able to fund Cuddy’s medical expenses with help from a foundation called Frankie’s Friends that helps pet owners with vet bills.