You just got a new puppy and you can’t wait to FINALLY bring him home. You’ve been counting down the days and it’s finally upon you! What do you do? How do you feel? Will they like their new home? Follow these steps and calm your anxieties with this easy to follow guide.
Read also: “Why Does My Dog Smell Bad”
1. Stock up with the right supplies
- Food and water bowl
- Puppy food and treats for dog training
- Collar and leash
- Doggy bed
- Stain removers
2. Crate a gated off “play area” This is the perfect place for your dog to relax and stay out of trouble. Puppies are known to chew, chop and scratch. Keep them in an area they can do that without ruing your entire home.
3. Find people you can rely on to care for your puppy while you’re at work or out of town. This will be important if you’re ever in a crunch and need a reliable person to watch your puppy child.
4. Find a great obedience school and start training immediately. A trained puppy is a good puppy.
5. Prepare for the car trip home
- Have a friend or family member come with you.
- You can put him in a crate if your puppy has used one before. This will ease his anxiety.
- Have someone hold and pet your new pup while you drive or vice versa
6. Enjoy your new puppy! It’s not easy but it’s totally worth it.