Adopting a dog sounds easy! All you have to do is find a shelter, go in there, look for a dog and take it home. Right? Wrong. Sooo wrong. Here is some helpful advice from yours truly on finding your dream dog the right way.
Read Also: “Why Does My Landlord Say No To Dogs?”
1. Remember, although you are adopting a dog, you will have to pay some money.
2. Make sure you are financially stable before getting a dog. They’re more expensive than you think.
3. If you’re in the shelter don’t overlook the all black dogs. People tend adopt dogs with special markings and brighter colored fur. 4. Ask the animal shelter workers what their favorite dogs are. You will learn more about the dogs this way and it will narrow down your pick.
5. Take a walk with your top 3 dogs. You can learn a lot about a dog’s energy and obedience on a short walk.
6. Visit Kill shelters first. A kill shelter is an animal shelter that kills the animals that don’t get adopted. Visit one first and you could save a dog’s life.
7. Don’t forget about the older dogs. I know adopting a puppy is possibly the cutest thing ever but older dogs need a home too. Older dogs also tend to be more calm, settled and are usually trained.
8. If your favorite dog won’t stop barking, don’t worry. An animal shelter is a noisy place and the animals are responding to other noises and dogs. If your dog is barking here, it doesn’t mean he’ll do it at home.