Watch out because the Great Dane is coming through! This beautiful beast is more than just a pony for small children, they’re practically perfect creatures. Here are some interesting facts about the Great, Great Dane:
Read Also: ” The Biggest Dog Breeds Ever”
- The Great Dane is the 15th Most Popular dog breed in America.
- Great Danes are taller than the average person while standing on their hindlegs.
- The Great Dane’s name is the English translation of the breed name in French: Grand Danois, meaning, “Big Danish.”
- The Great Dane is a 400-year-old breed.
- The Earliest written description of a dog resembling the Great Dane may be found in Chinese literature of 1121 BC.
- Despite being called the Great Dane, they have ties to Germany, not Denmark.
- Great Danes were once used for hunting boars.
- The Great Danes ancestors might have lived among the Egyptians. Depictions of giant dogs can be seen on Egyptian monuments dating back to 3000 BC.
- Great Danes were once thought to ward off ghosts and ghouls which is why Scooby Doo makes the perfect ghost hunting cartoon.
- In 1941, Juliana the Great Dane had a bomb fall on her house. Juliana peed on the bomb and the urine diffused the bomb and earned her, her first medal. She was awarded her second medal three years later, when she alerted authorities that a fire was in her owner’s shoe shop.
- The Great Dane is the official state dog of Pennsylvania.