Whenever I see a poodle with a fancy haircut the first thing I think is, “poor dog.” I mean, they look pretty ridiculous; they must feel ridiculous too. After doing a little research I discovered there’s an actual reason why poodles have those hairstyles, and it’s not because their owners are crazy or they’re about to compete in a dog show, although that’s a possibility. Here are 5 reasons poodles have weird hairstyles:
- Poodles were bred to be water dogs in the 16th-17th Century. They cut the fur on the bottom half of their bodies so it was easier for them to swim. Makes total sense!
- The hair around their chest is supposed to keep their vital organs warm. Whoa. Creepy. What about hairless cats? What about their vital organs?
- The hair around their joints helps them from getting arthritis. Healthy joints make a happy poodle.
- Shaving the hair around their face and eyes helped them retrieve things easier back in the day. Poodles that sit around the house eating fancy dog food all day don’t really need to see anything.
- They mimicked their hair after French hairstyles. Poodles became very popular in France during the 18th Century and women loved them so much they made poodles look like them! Interesting.
I know Poodles have a rich history but it can be a good thing when hairstyles go out of style. Poodle owners take note.