Your dog just ran away and you’re freaking out. You run outside and scream your dog’s name but you hear only silence. You look at your phone and dial 9-1-1 but you know they won’t help. You feel hopeless and panicked. If your dog recently ran away, don’t worry! We got you. Here’s a list of things to do:
- Don’t panic. Stressing yourself out will only make matters worse. Stay calm.
- Keep someone in charge of the phones. If your dog’s collar has a house phone and a cell phone number on it, have someone watch both phones at all times.
- Call the local animal shelters and veterinarians to alert them that your dog is missing.
- Make sure you have an updated picture of your pooch. You can either print the photo out or keep one that’s easily accessible on your cell phone.
- Bring along a toy that makes noise. Walk around the area where your dog went missing and squeak the toy repeatedly. This has worked for me before, so it might work for you, too.
- Post about your missing dog on every form of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.). Make sure you include contact information and ask your friends to share your post to get the word out.
- Make posters and put them all over town. You never know who will see it.
- Check lost and found sites in your area as much as possible.
- Don’t give up! Seriously, don’t give up! Keep looking and stay positive. There are thousands of success stories about dogs running away! You can have success, too!
Also read: When Dressing Your Dog Goes Too Far